Preparation and cooking time : 20 minutes
Spinach : 1 bunch, chopped
Toor dal or moong dal : 2 table spoons
Green chillis : 3
Coriander : 4 twigs
Garlic : 3 flakes
Onion : 1, finely chopped
Mustard seeds : ½ tablespoon
Chana dal : ½ tablespoon
Urad dal : ½ tablespoon
Cumin seeds : ¼ tablespoon
Dry red chillis : 2, de-seeded (Optional)
Turmeric : 1 pinch
Salt : To taste
Oil : 2 tablespoons
1. Make coarse paste of garlic flakes, green chillis and coriander leaves.
2. Boil the toor dal or moong dal, and chopped spinach in just enough water (half a cup of water, approximately) for 5 minutes.
3. Heat oil, add the mustard seeds and once they splutter, add the cumin seeds, dals, dry red chillis, curry leaves and saute for half a minute.
4. Add the onions and saute till transparent. Add salt and turmeric powder and saute further for a minute. Add the ground paste and stir fry for 5 minutes
5. Add the boiled spinach leaves and dal mixture and saute for 10 minutes (without lid) or till done. Serve hot with rice.
Benefits of spinach : Spinach is known as a rich source of iron, calcium, vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin K, magnesium and several vital antioxidants. It is also the source of folic acid (Vitamin B9). To benefit from the folate in spinach, it is better to steam it than to boil it.