Preparation and cooking time : 20 mins
Toor dal : 1 cup
Tomato : 2; big, quartered
Tamarind : small lemon sized; extract pulp
Turmeric : 1 big pinch
Rasam powder : 1 tablespoon (adjust to your taste)
Coriander powder : 1 teaspoon (optional)
Dry red chilli : 4 (adjust to your taste)
Salt : to taste
Onion : 1, finely chopped
Oil : 2 tablespoons
Hing : 1 pinch
Curry leaves : 1 twig
Coriander leaves : for garnish
Mustard seeds : 1 teaspoon
Cumin seeds : 1/2 teaspoon
1. Pressure cook dal and tomatoes till dal becomes soft.
2. To this add turmeric, coriander powder, rasam powder, salt and tamarind extract. Adjust to your taste.
3. Heat oil in a heavy bottom saucepan. Add mustard seeds and let them splutter. Add cumin seeds, curry leaves and saute for a minute.
4. Add dry red chilli and onions. Saute till onions become translucent. Once onions are fried, add hing.
5. Pour the rasam into this seasoning and bring to boil.
6. Sprinkle the chopped coriander and remove from heat. Serve hot with rice.