Preparation and cooking time : 20 mins
Tomato : 3; big, quartered
Tamarind : small lemon sized; extract pulp (optional)
Turmeric : 1 big pinch
Rasam powder : 1 tablespoon (adjust to your taste)
Salt : to taste
Dry red chilli : 4 (adjust to your taste)
Oil : 2 tablespoons
Onion : 1, finely chopped
Curry leaves : 1 twig
Coriander leaves : for garnish
Mustard seeds : 1 teaspoon
Cumin seeds : 1/2 teaspoon
1. Boil tomatoes, remove from water and mash tomatoes till fine.
2. Add salt, turmeric powder, rasam powder, tamarind pulp (optional). Adjust the spiciness according to your taste.
3. Heat oil in a heavy bottom saucepan. Add mustard seeds and let them splutter. Add cumin seeds, curry leaves and saute for a minute.
4. Add dry red chilli and onions. Saute till onions become translucent.
5. Pour the rasam into this seasoning and bring to boil.
6. Sprinkle the chopped coriander and remove from heat. Serve hot with rice.