This is a very simple and tasty recipe which I’ve learned from a DD (Doordarshan) program during my school days.
Preparation and cooking time : 20 mins
Puffed rice (borugulu aka maramaralu) : 1/2 kg
Onion : 1, finely chopped
Green chilli : 2, chopped roughly
Dry red chilli : 2 (Optional)
Mustard seeds : 1teaspoon
Urad dal : 1teaspoon
Chana dal : 1 teaspoon
Cumin seeds : 1/4 teaspoon
Curry leaves : 1 twig
Salt : 1/4 teaspoon
Roasted gram : 1/2 cup, made into powder, adjust the amount according to your taste
Lime juice : as per taste
Salt : to taste
Oil : 1 1/2 tablespoons
Coriander : finely chopped, for garnishing
1. Soak puffed rice in sufficient amount of water, drain. Sprinkle roasted gram powder and mix evenly.
2. Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds and let them splutter. Add curry leaves and dals. Saute till dals turn brown.
3. Add cumin seeds, saute and add chopped onions and chilli. Saute till onions become transparent.
4. Add salt, turmeric and saute for 10 seconds. Add the soaked puffed rice, coated with roasted gram powder and stir well.
5. Add lime juice and combine well on low flame. Garnish with chopped coriander and serve hot.
This dish can be eaten as it is. You can also prepare the dish excluding either lime juice or the roasted gram powder. It tastes good either way. You can visit http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puffed_rice to know what puffed rice is called as in your region 🙂