Preparation and cooking time : 20 mins
Split yellow moong dal : 1cup
onion : 1 small, roughly chopped
Green chilli : 2, roughly chopped
Turmeric : 1 big pinch (Optional)
Garlic : 2 flakes, roughly chopped
Mustard seeds : 1 teaspoon
Cumin seeds : 1 teaspoon
Curry leaves : 1 twig
Dry red chilli : 2 (Optional)
Oil : 1 teaspoon
Salt : to taste
Lime juice : 1 teaspoon (adjust as per your liking)
1. Cook dal in adequate amount of water.
2. Add turmeric, salt and chopped onion, chilli and garlic. Boil till all of them are cooked softly.
3. Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds and let them splutter.
4.Add cumin seeds, dry red chiili and curry leaves and saute for 5 seconds.
5. Pour this over the cooked dal and bring to a boil.
6. Remove from heat and let it cool. Add lime jucie before serving.
This rasam can be used as soup also. Make sure there’s adequate amount of water, else it becomes thick as it cools.