I first came across this dish in a newspaper and I still remember bugging my mom to prepare this dish for me almost once in a month. Now she has become a pro in preparing this dish :). This was the first chicken dish I learned from her.
For marinade (marinate chicken and leave for 30 mins)
Chicken : 1/2 kilo
Lime juice : 1 tablespoon
Turmeric powder : 1/4 teaspoon
Salt : to taste
Curd : 2 tablespoons
Curry leaves : 1 twig
Pepper powder : 1 teaspoon (adjust to taste)
Oil : 3 tablespoons
Onion : 1 big
Green chilli : 2
Ginger garlic paste : 1 teaspoon
Coriander powder : 2 tablespoons (adjust to taste)
Chilli powder : 1/2 tablespoon (optional)
Coriander leaves : 4 twigs (optional)
1. Heat a tablespoon of oil in a pan. Add the onion paste and fry till the raw smell of onion is gone and oil starts oozing out. Remove from heat and keep aside.
2. Heat a tablespoon of oil in the same pan and add the second paste. Saute till the raw smell is gone. Remove from heat and keep aside.
3. Heat a tablespoon of oil in the same pan. Add the curry leaves and saute for few seconds. Add the sauteed pastes and mix well.
4. Now add the marinated chicken and saute on medium flame until chicken is half cooked. Check for salt and add if needed more. Add sufficient amount of water if needed (because of curd, water oozes out once chicken is added).
5. If you want the dish to be gravy dish, then add the pepper powder now. Saute till raw smell of pepper is gone and remove from heat.
6. If you want the dish to be dry, add the pepper powder once the chicken is cooked 3/4th. Saute the chicken on low flame till you get the required consistency.
7. Remove from heat and serve hot with rice or rotis.