What can I say about this capsicum chutney, which looks simple but tastes heavenly.
Capsicum : 2 big
Garlic : 2-3 flakes
Green chillis : 3
Tamarind paste : as per taste
Salt : as per taste
Mustard seeds : 1/2 teaspoon
Chana dal : 1/4 teaspoon
Urad dal : 1/4 teaspoon
Cumin seeds : 1/4 teaspoon
Curry leaves : 1 twig
Onion : 1, small; finely slice
Asafoetida / hing / inguva : 1 big pinch (Optional)
Oil : 2 tablespoons
1. Wash the capsicum, de-seed and cut into cubes.
2. Heat a tablespoon of oil. Add garlic, chillis, and cubed capsicum. Saute on medium flame for 5 mins. Remove from heat and cool.
3. Once cooled, add salt and tamarind paste, and grind into a coarse paste.
4. Heat a tablespoon of oil in a wok.Add mustard seeds and let them splutter. Add the dals and cumin seeds. Saute till dals turn brown.
5. Add hing and curry leaves. Saute for few seconds. Add the sliced onions and suate till they trun translucent.
6. Add the ground capsicum paste and saute till the raw smell of capsicum is gone.
7. Serve hot with rice and ghee.