Eggs are a regular in my kitchen. I can never say NO to egg. Pulusu means sour curry. My mother’s Chepala Pulusu (fish curry in tamarind gravy) is the inspiration for me to prepare this dish and it came out really well than I’ve expected it to be. Pulusu can be prepared with most vegetables like okra (ladies finger), egg plant, bitter gourd etc. You can always follow your own intuition while preparing this dish.
Eggs : 7; boil, remove the shell and make slits along the length of the each egg
Onion : 1 big; finely sliced
Tomato : 1 big; finely sliced
Green chillis/ Chilli powder : as per taste
Coriander powder : 2 tablespoons
Turmeric powder : 1 big pinch
Tamarind paste : as per taste
Salt : as per taste
Oil : 3 tablespoons
Mustard seeds : 1/2 teaspoon
Fenugreek/methi seeds : 1/4 teaspoon
Cumin seeds : 1/4 teaspoon (Optional)
Curry leaves : 1 twig
Coriander leaves : a small bush; coarsely chopped
Garlic : 3 flakes; finely chopped
1. Heat a teaspoon of oil in a wok. Add a pinch of turmeric powder and roast the eggs slightly.
2. Heat the remaining oil in the same wok. Add the mustard seeds and let them splutter.
3. Add fenugreek and cumin seeds. Saute till they turn brown.
4. Add curry leaves and chopped garlic. Saute for few seconds.
5. Add finely sliced onions and chillis. Saute till onions turn translucent.
6. Add sliced Tomato and saute til it’s wilted.
7. Add tamarind paste, coriander powder, chilli powder and saute for few seconds.
8. Add water, salt and bring to boil. After few minutes add eggs and chopped coriander leaves. Leave on medium flame till you get gravy of required consistency.
9. Remove from heat and serve hot with rice.