Aratikaya/Raw banana/ Plantain : 2; Peel skin and cut into cubes of desired size
Turmeric powder : 1 big pinch
Salt : to taste
Chilli powder : to taste
Roasted gram dal/putnala pappu/venchina senagapappu : 3 tablespoons
Garlic : 3 flakes
Grated fresh coconut : 1 tablespoon (optional)
Onion : 1 small; finely sliced (optional)
Mustard seeds : 1 teaspoon
Chana dal : 1 teaspoon
Urad dal : 1 teaspoon
Cumin seeds : 1/4 teaspoon (optional)
Curry leaves : 1 twig
Oil : 2 tablespoons
2. Grind roasted gram dal, chilli powder, salt and garlic flakes into powder. Add to the cooked plantain cubes along with grated coconut. Mix well so that the cubes are coated with the powder mixture evenly.
3. Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan. Add mustard seeds and let them splutter. Add the dals, cumin seeds, curry leaves and saute till the dals turn brown.
4. Add the sliced onion and saute till they turn translucent.
5. Add the cooked plantain cubes coated with powder mixture and grated coconut. Stir fry on low flame for 5 minutes.
6. Remove from heat and serve hot with rice or chapatis.
Tip: Soak chopped plantain cubes in water+turmeric powder+salt to avoid them turning black in colour.