Tomato rice is one of those simplest variety of rice dishes. I cook it in two different ways and I’ve already blogged my first version of preparing tomato rice. This second version, tangy tomato rice makes a great one dish meal.
Rice : 1 cup; cook and let it cool
Tomatoes : 2 big; finely sliced
Dry red chillis : 4
Mustard seeds : 1 tea spoon
Cumin seeds : 1/4 tea spoon (optional)
Urad dal : 1 tea spoon
Chana dal : 1 tea spoon
Cashew nuts : 5 (optional)
Hing/Asafoetida : 1 big pinch
Curry leaves : 1 twig
Onion : 1 large; finely sliced
Green chillis : as per taste; slit vertically
Coriander leaves : 2 table spoons finely chopped leaves (optional)
Garlic : 3; finely chopped
Garam masala powder : 1/4 tea spoon
Butter or ghee : 2 table spoons
Salt : to taste
1. In a heavy bottom pan, heat ghee or butter. Add mustard seeds and let them splutter.
2. Add cumin seeds, dals, cashew nuts and saute till dals and nuts turn brown in colour.
3. Add curry leaves, dry red chillis and saute for few seconds. Add hing and saute for 5 seconds.
4. Add sliced onion and saute till they turn translucent. Add sliced green chillis and saute for a minute.
5. Add finely sliced tomato and saute till they are finely cooked. Add salt, garam masala powder and saute for a minute.
6. Add the cooked rice, chopped coriander leaves and mix well. Serve hot.