This sambar goes well with idli and dosa. It is good for digestion and stomach filling. Eating idli with this sambar is not only filling but we don’t feel hungry soon. Easy to prepare and consumes less time.
Preparation and cooking time : 20 minutes
Moong dal : 1 cup
Turmeric powder : 1 pinch
Onion :1; finely sliced
Tomato : 1; finely sliced
Green chilli : 2; finely chopped
Dry red chilli : 2
Sambar powder : 2 tea spoons (adjust as per taste)
Tamarind extract : as per taste
Salt : as per taste
Oil : 1 table spoon
Mustard seeds : 1/4 tea spoon
Cumin seeds : 1/4 tea spoon
Coriander leaves : 1 table spoon chopped leaves
1. Wash moong dal. Add the turmeric powder and cook till dal becomes soft.
2. Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds and let them splutter. Add cumin seeds and dry red chillis. Saute for few seconds.
3. Add sliced onion and chillis. Saute till onion becomes translucent.
4. Add sliced tomato and saute till it is cooked.
5. Add cooked dal, salt, tamarind extract, chopped coriander leaves and sambar powder. Bring to boil. Serve hot with idlis or dosa.