This is the basic coconut chutney which I’ve learned from my mother. This chutney goes well with idli, dosa and poori. Easy to prepare and very tasty.
Grated fresh coconut : 1 cup
Green chilli : 2
Garlic : 2 flakes
Salt : to taste
Shallots : 5; finely sliced
Oil : 1 tablespoon
Mustard seeds : 1/2 teaspoon
Chana dal : 1/2 teaspoon
Urad dal : 1/2 teaspoon
Dry red chilli : 2 (optional)
Curry leaves : 1 twig
1. Blend coconut, green chillis, garlic flakes and salt into a fine paste by adding sufficient amount of water. Transfer in to a serving bowl.
2. Heat oil in a wok and add mustard seeds. Once they splutter, add curry leaves, dry red chillis and dals. Saute till dals turn brown.
3. Add shallots and saute till they turn translucent. Pour this tempering mixture over the chutney and mix well. Serve with hot dosa, idli or poori.
- If you can’t get shallots, use one small onion.
- If you don’t want to use raw garlic and chilli for the chutney, heat about 1/2 teaspoon of oil in a wok; saute them for 15 seconds and blend them.
- You can also add about 1/4 teaspoon of cumin seeds and a tablespoon of chopped coriander leaves. You’ve to saute these to remove the raw smell.