This dish had been in my drafts for a while. I’ve learnt this dish from my mother. A simple and easy way to cook beetroot.
Beetroot: 1; medium sized
Onion: 1 small; finely sliced
Garlic: 4 flakes
Mustard Seeds: 1 teaspoon
Urad dal: 1 teaspoon
Chana Dal: 1 teaspoon
Cumin seeds: (Optional)
Roasted gram dal: 3 tablespoons
Chilli Powder: to taste
Salt: to taste
Curry Leaves: 1 twig
Grated coconut (fresh/dry): 1 tablespoon
Oil: 1 tablespoon
1. Peel the skin of beetroot, cut into pieces of desired size. Add enough salt and pressure cook. Drain the water.
2. Grind roasted gram dal, salt, chilli powder and garlic flakes into powder.
3. Coat the cooked beetroot pieces with the powder mixture and grated coconut.
4. Heat oil in a heavy pan. Add mustard seeds and let them splutter. Add curry leaves, dals and cumin seeds. Saute till dals turn brown.
5. Add the sliced onion and saute till it turns translucent.
6. Add the beetroot pieces and stir fry on low flame for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and serve hot with chapatis.