I am not sure from where I got this recipe as I’ve not mentioned the source in my reference book. This powder goes well with idli, dosa and chapatti.
Urad dal: ½ cup
Chana dal: ½ cup
Dried red chillis: 6 (adjust to taste)
Black pepper corns: 6
Cumin seeds: 1 teaspoon
Coriander seeds: 1 teaspoon
Mustard seeds: 1 teaspoon
Fenugreek (Methi) Seeds: ½ teaspoon
Salt: to taste
Oil/Ghee: 1 teaspoon
1. Toast all the ingredients in one teaspoon of oil or ghee separately in an iron skillet.
2. Mix constantly taking care not to burn them.
3. Let them cool to room temperature.
4. Powder them using mixer. Store in a clean, air-tight jar.
5. Drizzle some melted ghee into this powder and have it with idlis.