Mattar paneer is an Indian dish consisting of paneer in a slightly sweet and spicy sauce. Some people also add potato to it. It is usually served with an Indian type of bread like naan, paratha, roti. Some people prefer it to take with rice preparations. he base is prepared with cumin seeds, garam masala, vine ripened tomatoes and the green peas and paneer cheese cubes are added for stir frying on high heat.
Preparation and cooking time: 30 mins
Paneer (Cottage Cheese): 1/4 kg
Green Peas: Small cup (I’ve used frozen peas)
Cumin Seeds: 1 teaspoon
Cashew nuts: 12 (optional)
Onion: 1 large; finely chopped
Ginger-Garlic Paste: 1 teaspoon
Green Chilli: 3; roughly chopped
Tomatoes: 2; finely chopped
Chilli Powder: 3/4 teaspoon (optional)
Turmeric powder: 1 big pinch
Coriander Powder: 1.5 teaspoons
Kasur Methi (Dry Fenugreek Leaves): ½ teaspoon
Garam Masala Powder: 1 big pinch
Malai (Top of Milk): 1 teaspoon (optional)
Salt: as per your taste
Cream or chopped Coriander Leaves: 1 tablespoon
Oil: 1-2 tablespoons
1. Heat oil in a cooking vessel; add the onions, cashew nuts, cumin seeds and saute till onions are transparent.
2. Add ginger – garlic paste, chopped green chilli, coriander powder, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and saute for a minute. You can add few tablespoons of water to prevent the powders from burning.
3. Add the chopped tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes on medium flame. Turn off heat, cool and grind to a coarse paste.
4. Return this paste to the vessel, add a cup of water and bring to a boil. Reduce flame, add the green peas and cook till peas are 3/4th cooked.
5. Add the paneer, salt and cook on flame till peas and paneer are cooked.
6. Add Malai, kasur methi, garam masala powder and mix well. Turn off flame and leave on stove for 5 minutes.
7. Garnish with cream or chopped coriander leaves. Serve hot with rotis or naan.