Tomato biryani is a regular dish in our house as this is an easy one pot meal. I prepare it at least once every week. It is quite tasty and filling. You can have it as it is or with a simple raita or any curry of your choice.
Rice: 2 cups; soak for 20 minutes
Tomato: 2; finely sliced
Onion: 2; finely sliced
Ginger Garlic Paste: 1 teaspoon
Green Chillis: 3; adjust as per your spice preference
Garam Masala Powder: 1 tea spoon
Turmeric Powder: 1/4 teaspoon
Chilli Powder: 1/2 teaspoon (Optional)
Mustard Seeds: 1/2 teaspoon (Optional)
Curry Leaves: 1 twig (Optional)
Coriander Leaves: 2 springs; finely chopped
Salt: as per taste
Butter /Ghee / Oil: 2 tablespoons
Hot Water: 3 cups
1. Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan. Add mustard seeds and curry leaves and let them splutter.
2. Add sliced onions and sauté till they turn transparent. Add green chillis and sauté for few seconds.
3. Add ginger garlic paste and sauté till the raw smell is gone.
4. Add finely sliced tomatoes and sauté till they become mushy. Add turmeric powder, chilli powder and garam masala powder. Saute for a minute.
5. Drain the water from the rice and sauté for 2 minutes. Add hot water, salt and chopped coriander leaves and combine well.
6. Cook on medium flame till rice is completely cooked. Fluff the rice with a fork and serve hot with raita or any curry of your choice.