I first tasted this delicious dish on the day of my marriage reception. Once I came to Singapore, I started trying out this recipe but couldn’t come out with a decent output :(. By practice, I’m now able to prepare 2 versions of curry leaves rice. But still I was not happy with the result. It was then that I came across the recipe at Sailu’s food. I tweaked it just a bit to suit our taste buds. Thank you Sailaja garu for such a wonderful and yummy recipe :). I’ll post my other 2 versions soon.
Preparation and Cooking time: 30 minutes
Adapted from: Sailu’s Kitchen
Cooked Rice: 2 cups
Curry Leaves: 1 cup; wash and pat the leaves to remove excess moisture
Urad Dal: 1 teaspoon
Chana Dal: 2 teaspoon
Black Pepper Corns: 10
Dry Red Chillis: 3 (Optional)
Asafoetida / Hing: 1 pinch
Turmeric Powder: ¼ teaspoon
Cashew Nuts: few (Optional)
Salt: as per your taste
Oil: 1 tablespoon
Mustard Seeds: ¼ teaspoon
Cumin Seeds: 1/2 teaspoon
1. Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a heavy bottom pan. Add the dals, cumin seeds, dry red chillies and pepper corns. Saute till the dals turn brown. Turn off heat and cool.
2. In the same pan, add the curry leaves and saute till they turn crispy. Make sure not to burn the leaves. Remove from heat and cool.
3. Grind the roasted ingredients into a coarse powder.
4. Heat the remaining oil in the same vessel. Add mustard seeds and let them splutter. Add cashew nuts and saute till they brown.
5. Add asafoetida, turmeric powder and saute for few seconds.
6. Add cooked rice, salt and ground roasted powder. Combine well and serve with raita of your choice.