I came across this biryani recipe in Eenadu (Telugu) newspaper. As I had mushrooms on hand, I prepared it immediately. It tasted yummy and since then it had become a regular dish at home.
Mushrooms: 500 gms; quartered
Basmati Rice: 2 cups; Soak for 20 minutes
Onion: 2; finely sliced
Tomato: 1; finely sliced
Ghee (Clarified Butter) / Oil: 1/2 cup
Soy Sauce: 2 teaspoons (Optional)
Ginger Garlic Paste: 1 tablespoon
Green Chillis: 2; finely chopped
Cinnamon Stick: 1.5″
Coriander Powder: 1 tablespoon
Coriander Leaves: 1 tablespoon finely chopped leaves
Mint (Pudina) Leaves: 1 tablespoon finely chopped leaves
Lime Juice: 2 teaspoons
Salt: as per taste
Water: 3 cups
1. Heat ghee or oil in a pressure cooker or a heavy bottom vessel.
2. Add cinnamon stick, cloves, cardamom, ginger garlic paste and sauté for a minute.
3. Add onions and sauté till they turn slightly brown.
4. Add mushrooms, tomato and sauté for 2 minutes. Add soy sauce and sauté for few seconds.
5. Add water and bring to boil. Add soaked and drained rice, coriander powder, salt, coriander and mint leaves. Combine well and cook on low flame till rice is cooked well.
6. Open the lid, fluff the rice with fork and sprinkle the lime juice. Serve hot with raita or curry of your choice.