I learned this pickle from my mother. If you are lazy like me and don’t wish to go for laborious method of preparing sun-dried tomato pickle, you can prepare this instant pickle which tastes all the same. This pickle goes well with plain rice, dosa, and idli. Use tangy, ripe and firm tomatoes to prepare instant pickle.
Tomato: 10; finely sliced
Garlic: 4-5 cloves; roughly crushed
Oil: 3 tablespoons
Mustard Seeds: 1 teaspoon
Mustard Seed Powder: 1 teaspoon
Methi / Fenugreek Seed Powder: 1/4 teaspoon
Salt: as per taste
Chilli Powder: as per taste
Cumin Seeds: 1/2 teaspoon (Optional)
1. Heat oil in a heavy bottom wok. Add mustard and cumin seeds. Let them splutter.
2. Add crushed garlic and sauté till the cloves start turning brown.
3. Add finely sliced tomato and mix well. After 5 minutes, add salt and chilli powder. Combine well and cook on medium heat till oil begins to separate.
4. Add mustard and fenugreek seed powders and combine well. Saute for 2 minutes and remove from heat.
5. Let it cool and transfer in to a dry air tight container. Refrigerate.
- If the tomatoes are not tangy enough, you can add a teaspoon of tamarind juice extract.
- You can also dry roast the mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds before grinding them into fine powder.