When amma started using masoor dal (red lentils) for pappu, we used to be fascinated as to how it can change colour while cooking. When I started cooking after marriage, this used to be a regular as it is very easy to prepare and also requires less ingredients.
Masoor Dal: 1 cup
Turmeric Powder: 1/4 teaspoon
Oil: 1 tablespoon
Shallots: 10; roughly sliced
Garlic: 3 flakes; chopped finely
Fresh Green Chillis: 3; finely chopped (adjust as per taste)
Salt: as per taste
Cumin Seeds: 1/2 teaspoon
Mustard Seeds: 1/2 teaspoon
Coriander Leaves: 1 tablespoon finely chopped leaves
Curry Leaves: 1 twig
1. Cook masoor dal with sufficient amount of water (Do not add excess water as it reduces the taste of the dish).
2. Heat oil in a heavy bottom wok. Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and let them splutter. Add curry leaves and sauté for few seconds.
3. Add sliced shallots, finely chopped garlic and chillis. Sauté till onions turns transparent.
4. Add cooked dal, turmeric powder and salt. Combine well. Cook on medium heat till the raw smell of turmeric is gone.
5. Add the chopped coriander leaves, combine well and remove from heat. Serve hot with plain white rice or chapti or roti.