Urad dal (uddi) vada is my all time favorite vada. These vada are fluffy inside and crispy outside. This vada is a South Indian breakfast (which can be eaten as it is or with idli, dosa or pongal) served with sambar and chutney. Adding pepper corns and ginger makes the vadas irresistibly tasty.
Urad dal / Uddi Pappu / Minappappu : 2 cups
Ginger: 1″ piece
Pepper Corns: 30; crush lightly
Salt: as per taste
Oil: for deep frying vadas
1. Soak urad dal in water for 6 hours or overnight.
2. Strain water and grind urad dal along with ginger piece to a paste using very little water. Add salt, crushed pepper and beat the batter till it becomes fluffy.
3. Keep aside for 10-15 minutes. Meanwhile heat oil for deep frying in a wok. Once oil is piping hot. Reduce flame to medium.
4. Grease a plastic sheet or banana leaf with oil. Wet your hand with water, take a small ball of batter and flatten it into vada on the plastic sheet or banana leaf.
5. Drop vada into hot oil and fry to a golden brown colour. Scoop vadas onto absorbent paper to remove excess oil. Serve hot vadas with sambar and/or chutney.