Dondakaya / tindora / ivy gourd fry can be prepared in many ways. I’ve learned this simple stir fry recipe from amma. We used to have ivy gourd vines in our (rental) house years back. As long as we were there, ivy gourd dishes used to be a regular in our house. We can never get tired of eating this cute and small vegetables :).
Tindora / Dondakaya / Ivy Gourd: 500 gms; finely sliced
Onion: 2; finely sliced
Garlic: 3-4 flakes; crush lightly
Chilli Powder: as per taste
Salt: as per taste
Turmeric Powder: 1/4 teaspoon
Mustard Seeds: 1/2 teaspoon
Cumin Seeds: 1/2 teaspoon
Curry Leaves: 1 twig
Coriander Leaves: 1 tablespoon finely chopped leaves
Oil: 2 tablespoons
1. Heat oil in a heavy bottom wok. Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and let them splutter. Add curry leaves and saute for few seconds.
2. Add crushed garlic and sliced onion. Saute till onion turns transparent.
3. Add sliced tindora and turmeric powder. Combine well, cover with the lid and cook on low flame. Do not add water.
4. Once tindora is half cooked, add salt. Combine well and cook.
5. Once the tindora slices are completely cooked, add chilli powder and saute till the raw smell is gone.
6. Switch off flame, add chopped coriander leaves and mix well. Serve hot with rice or chapati.