I was getting bored to eat my idli and dosa with regular peanut chutney, coconut chutney and erra kaaram chutney. As I was browsing through the food blogs, I came across this Chettinad tomato chutney at sailusfood. I tweaked it a wee bit to suit my taste. This chutney goes well with idli, dosa and chapati.
Cooking and Preparation Time: 25 minutes
Adapted from: Sailus Kitchen
Onion: 1, roughly chopped
Tomato: 2; large, roughly chopped
Chana Dal: 2 tablespoons
Dry Red Chilli: 6
Green Chilli: 2-4 (adjust as per taste)
Ginger: 1/2: piece, grated
Coconut: 5 tablespoons of grated coconut
Salt: as per taste
Mustard Seeds: 1/2 teaspoon
Cumin Seeds: 1/2 teaspoon (optional)
Asafoetida: 1 pinch
Curry Leaves: 1 twig
1. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a wok. Add chana dal, cumin seeds, 4 dry red chilli and green chilli. Saute till dal turns light brown. Transfer to a plate to cool. Grind to a coarse powder.
2. In the same wok, add 1 tablespoon oil. Add chopped onion, grated ginger and saute till transparent.
3. Add chopped tomatoes and saute till completely cooked. Remove from heat and cool.
4. Add salt, ground powder and grated coconut to sautéed tomato mixture. Combine well and grind to a fine paste.
5. Heat remaining oil in a small wok. Add the mustard seeds. Once they splutter, add curry leaves, red chilies and asafoetida. Combine well and remove from heat quickly. Pour this tempering over the chutney and combine well.
6. Serve with hot dosa, idli or chapati.