I came across this recipe in a Telugu newspaper a long time back. It was an instant hit with my family once I prepared it. From then on it has become a regular dish in our house when I want to prepare a one pot meal. You can have it as it is or with raita.
Cooked Rice: 2 cups
Dry Red Chillis: 5
Coriander Seeds: 2 tablespoons
Chana Dal: 2 tablespoons
Methi / Fenugreek Seeds: 1/2 teaspoon
Sesame / Til seeds: 1 tablespoon
Cumin Seeds: 1/2 teaspoon
Mustard Seeds: 1/2 teaspoon
Green Chillis: 3; slit into halves
Asafoetida: 1 big pinch
Salt: as per taste
Curry Leaves: 1 twig (optional)
Oil: 2 tablespoons
Coriander Leaves: 1 tablespoon finely chopped leaves
1. Spread cooked rice on a wide plate and let cool.
2. Cook, peel skin and cube potatoes into bit size pieces.
3. Dry roast red chiilis, coriander seeds, chana dal, methi seeds, sesame seeds, cumin seeds and curry leaves separately. Let them cool and grind to a coarse powder.
4. Heat oil in a wok. Add mustard seeds and let them splutter. Add asafoetida and green chillis. Saute for few seconds.
5. Add diced potato cubes and saute for a minute. Add the masala powder, chopped coriander leaves and combine well.
6. Add cooked rice, salt and combine well. Saute on low flame for 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat and serve hot with raita.