Tiffin sambar is a must when amma prepares idli, dosa, pongal or urad dal vada. I love it so much with these dishes that I don’t even need chutney when this sambar is on the table. Needless to say, this is the first dish I prepare if I’m planning to have idli or dosa for breakfast. I don’t use any vegetables in the preparation. You can add potato or drumstick if you wish (Tamil style).
Toor Dal / Yellow Pigeon Peas: 2 cups
Tomato: 2; roughly chopped
Tamarind Juice: as per taste
Turmeric Paste: 1/4 teaspoon
Sambar Powder: 2 teaspoons
Red Chilli Powder: as per taste
Garlic Flakes: 6; crush roughly
Shallots: few; crush roughly (you can substitute with finely sliced onion)
Mustard Seeds: 1/2 teaspoon
Cumin Seeds: 1/4 teaspoon
Asafoetida: 1 big pinch
Curry Seeds: 1 twig
Coriander Leaves: 1 tablespoon finely chopped leaves
Salt: as per taste
Oil: 1 tablespoon
1. Pressure cook toor dal, turmeric powder and chopped tomato til dal is completely cooked.
2. Remove from heat; add salt, sambar powder, chilli powder and tamarind juice.
3. Heat oil in a wok. Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and let them splutter. Add asafoetida and curry leaves. Saute for few seconds.
4. Add crushed garlic flakes and shallots. Saute for a minute. Add cooked dal along with chopped corainder leaves.
5. Add water till you get required consistency. Combine well and cook for 20 minutes in medium flame. Serve hot with idli or dosa or pongal and urad dal vada