I learned this yummy dish from my mom. It goes well with steamed white rice, chapati, poori or roti. It can also be used as sandwich filling. This dish has to be on the spicier side to bring out its actual taste.
Senagapappu (Chana Dal): 2 cups
Radish: 2 cups; grated (squeeze water slightly)
Turmeric Powder: 1/4 teaspoon
Garlic: 2-3 cloves
Ginger: 1″ piece
Onion: 1 large; finely chopped
Green Chilli: 6 (adjust as per taste)
Cinnamon: 1″ stick
Coriander Leaves: few springs; finely chopped
Salt: to taste
Oil: 4-5 tablespoons
1. Soak dal in water for 6 hours and drain.
2. Grind dal, ginger, garlic, cloves, cinnamon and green chilli into a wet powder (do not add water while grinding).
3. Add a teaspoon of oil in a pan. Add grated radish, salt and turmeric powder. Combine well and saute on low flame till radish is completely cooked.
4. Simultaneously, heat remaining oil in a heavy bottom pan. Add chopped onion and saute till transparent.
5. Add the dal mixture, salt and combine well. Cook on low flame until dal turns golden brown. Saute in between to avoid burning of dal.
6. Add sautéed radish to the dal mixture and combine well. Check for salt, add finely chopped coriander leaves. Cook on low flame for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and serve hot with chapati, poori or steamed white rice.