I’m a great fan of paneer dishes. But as it is high saturated fats, I started using tofu as substitute. I mostly use silken tofu as my baby likes it more. Coming to the dish, I came across the paneer based recipe in less than 15 minutes recipe book. I used tofu instead of paneer and the dish goes well with chapatti, naan and parata. Tofu has a low calorie count, relatively large amounts of protein, and little fat. It is high in iron and depending on the coagulant used in manufacturing, may also be high in calcium or magnesium.
Tofu: 2oo gms; cut into cubes of required size
Onion: 1; finely chopped
Tomato: 1; puree
Ginger Garlic Paste: 1 tablespoon
Coriander Powder: 1 tablespoon
Chilli Powder: 1 teaspoon (adjust as per taste)
Turmeric Powder: 1 big pinch
Tomato Ketchup: 2 teaspoons
Garam Masala Powder: 1 teaspoon
Milk: 1 cup (I used skim milk)
Oil: 1 tablespoon
Salt: as per taste
1. In a bowl; mix milk, tomato puree, tomato ketchup, coriander powder, chilli powder, turmeric powder, garam masala powder. Combine well and keep aside.
2. Heat Oil in a heavy bottom vessel. Add finely chopped onion and saute till it turn transparent.
3. Add ginger garlic paste and saute till the raw smell is gone.
4. Add the milk mixture and cook for few minutes on medium flame.
5. Add tofu cubes, salt and combine well. Cook for few minutes on medium flame.
6. Serve hot with chapatti, naan or parata.