My daughter is a big fan of kaju katli and fondly calls it as white sweet ;). However she gets to eat it only when we go to India or Little India (in Singapore). This prompted me to learn preparing kaju katli at home. Though she first insisted it’s not her favourite sweet as there was no silver foil, she started relishing the katli I prepared :).
Cashew Nuts / Kaju: 1 cup
Sugar: 1/2 Cup
Water: 200 ml
Ghee / Clarified Butter: 1 teaspoon
Milk: 1 tablespoon (Optional)
1. Grind cashew nuts to a fine powder. (Make sure the mixer is dry. If you are using cashew nuts stored in refrigerator, make sure you bring the nuts to room temperature before grinding).
2. In a non-stick pan, add water and sugar. Bring this to boil on medium flame, till you achieve a one string consistency.
3. Reduce to low flame and add cashew nut powder. Cook on low flame for 5 minutes. Stir continuously to avoid burning of the mixture.
4. Switch off heat and transform to a clean platform. Sprinkle milk and ghee and knead till the mixture is smooth.
5. Using a rolling pin, spread into a thin layer. Cut the katli into pieces of desired shape. Once the pieces have cooled completely, transfer them into an air tight container.