I learned this recipe from amma. Kootu with steamed white rice and a dollop of ghee is a wonderful combination to relish on.
Cabbage: 2 cups chopped pieces
Moong Dal (or) Toor Dal: 1/2 cup
Turmeric Powder: 1/4 teaspoon
Salt: as per taste
Green Chilli: 4 (adjust as per taste)
Grated Coconut: 1/4 Cup
Cumin Seeds: 1 teaspoon
Shallots: 6; roughly chopped (Optional)
Mustard Seeds: 1/4 teaspoon
Curry Leaves: 1 twig
Oil: 1 teaspoon
1. Grind coconut, green chillis, and cumin seeds into a fine paste with little water.
2. Pressure cook dal and keep aside.
3. Cook cabbage in half cup of water.
4. Add cooked dal, turmeric powder, shallots, salt and ground paste to cabbage and combine well. Bring to boil and cook on medium flame till the curry reaches required consistency. Remove from heat and keep aside.
5. Heat oil in a wok. Add mustard seeds and let them splutter. Add curry leaves and saute till the leaves are crispy.
6. Pour this tempering into the curry and combine well. Serve hot with steamed rice.