Kobbari annam (coconut rice) is a simple and easy rice dish to prepare. I remember that amma used to prepare this rice, the next day after a festival (we break coconut on the day of festival). I prefer using fresh coconut than frozen coconut. It doesn’t need any side dish to go with it as this rice itself is so flavorful.
Cooked Rice: 3 cups
Coconut (Grated): 1 cup
Green Chillis: 4-5; finely sliced
Coriander Leaves: few sprigs; finely chopped
Curry Leaves: 1 twig
Salt: as per taste
Oil: 1 tablespoon
Mustard Seeds: 1 teaspoon
Chana Dal: 1/2 teaspoon
Urad Dal: 1/2 teaspoon
1. Cool rice in a wide plate. Add grated coconut, salt to the rice and combine well.
2. Heat oil in a wok. Add mustard seeds and let them splutter.
3. Add dals and saute till they turn brown. Add green chillis and saute for few seconds.
4. Add curry leaves and chopped coriander leaves. Saute till curry leaves turn crisp.
5. Remove from heat and add the tempering to the rice. Combine well and let it sit for at least 15 minutes. Serve coconut rice as it is or with aloo kurma.