Senagapappu (Chana Dal): 2 cups
Snake Gourd (Potlakaya): 1
Turmeric Powder: 1/4 teaspoon
Garlic: 2-3 cloves
Ginger: 1″ piece
Onion: 1 large; finely chopped
Green Chilli: 6 (adjust as per taste)
Cinnamon: 1″ stick
Salt: to taste
Oil: 4-5 tablespoons
Coriander Leaves: few springs; finely chopped
1. Soak dal in water for 6 hours and drain.
2. Cut snake gourd into small pieces.
3. Heat a teaspoon of oil in a heavy bottom wok. Add snake gourd pieces, salt and turmeric powder. Combine well and cook on low flame till snake gourd is completely cooked.
4. Meanwhile grind dal, ginger, garlic, cloves, cinnamon and green chilli into a wet powder.
5. Do not add water while grinding.
6. Heat remaining oil in a heavy bottom pan. Add chopped onion and saute till transparent.
7. Add the dal mixture, salt and combine well. Cook on low flame until dal turns golden brown.
8. Add cooked snake gourd to the dal mixture and combine well.
9. Cook for 5 minutes on low flame with covered lid.
10. Add finely chopped coriander leaves and combine well. Remove from heat and serve hot with chapati, poori or steamed white rice.