Red Capsicum: 1; roughly chopped
Tomato: 2; roughly chopped
Chana Dal (Senagapappu): 2 tablespoons
Dry Red Chillis: 3
Green Chillis: 3 (adjust to taste)
Cumin Seeds: 1 teaspoon
Coriander Leaves: 2-3 sprigs (optional)
Oil: 2 tabespoon
Mustard Seeds: 1/4 teaspoon
Curry Leaves: 1 twig
Asafoetida (Hing): 1 big pinch
Salt: as per taste
1. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a wok. Add chana dal, cumin and red chilies. Saute till the dal turns light brown. Remove from wok and keep aside.
2. In the same wok, add green chilies and coriander leaves. Saute for a minute. Remove from wok and keep aside.
3. In the same wok, add a tablespoon of oil. Add chopped capsicum pieces and saute on medium flame till they start to wilt.
4. Add chopped tomato and saute on medium flame till they turn mushy. Remove from heat and cool.
5. Grind roasted chana dal, cumin seeds and red chilllis to a coarse powder. Add the remaining roasted ingredients, salt and grind to a fine paste.
6. Heat remaining oil in in a wok. Add mustard seeds and let them splutter.
7. Add curry leaves and asafoetida. Saute till leaves turn crisp. Turn off heat and pour the tempering over chutney.