Gutti Vankaya Koora (Stuffed Eggplant (Brinjal) Curry) is a traditional Andhra curry. The eggplants should be small, fresh, shiny and tender. Do not use eggplants that have black seeds or that are withered. Stuffed eggplant curry can be prepared with a variety of stuffing’s. Today I am posting the curry with coconut and peanut based stuffing.
Eggplants (Brinjal): 12
Onion: 1; finely sliced
Tomato: 1; finely chopped
Tamarind Juice: as per taste
Coriander Powder: 3 tablespoons
Chilli Powder: as per taste
Turmeric Powder: 1/2 teaspoon
Cumin Powder: 1/4 teaspoon (Optional)
Salt: as per taste
Peanuts: 4 tablespoons
Grated Coconut: 1/4 cup
Mustard Seeds: 1 teaspoon
Curry Leaves: 1 twig
Oil: 2 tablespoons
1. Roast peanuts, cool and deskin. Keep aside.
2. Grind coconut, roasted peanuts, coriander powder, chilli powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder, tamarind juice, salt into a fine paste.
3. Wash and dry the eggplants. Keep the stalks. Cut each eggplant from the base end and make a slit towards stem side. Slit each eggplant into four sections lengthwise without cutting off the crown.
4. Separate the eggplant quarters and fill the ground paste inside. Take care not to break eggplants. Keep aside any remaining ground paste.
5. Heat oil in a wide non-stick pan. Add mustard seeds and let them splutter.
6. Add curry leaves and saute till leaves turn crispy.
7. Add sliced onion and saute till transparent.
8. Now slowly place all stuffed eggplants in the dish, cook on low flame with covered lid for 15 minutes. Stir in between to avoid burning of eggplants.
9. Once eggplants are wilted, add chopped tomato, remaining paste and cook on medium flame till the raw smell of the paste is gone.
10. Add sufficient amount of water, adjust salt and spice level of the curry. Cook on medium flame till eggplants are completely cooked.
11. Remove from heat and serve (lift eggplants with a wide serving spoon and place on serving plate) hot with steamed rice.
- Place the slit eggplants in salt water to avoid them from changing colour and taste.