I came across this recipe in a Telugu newspaper. This was the first time I saw a recipe combining palak (spinach) and coconut. This stirred my interest and I gave it a try immediately. It is so simple to prepare and makes a delicious one pot meal.
Raw Rice: 2 cups
Spinach: 1 bunch
Onion: 1; finely sliced
Tomato: 1; finely chopped
Ginger Garlic Paste: 1 teaspoon
Green Chillis: 5; chopped
Grated Coconut: 1/4 cup
Coriander Leaves: few sprigs
Cinnamon: 1” stick
Ghee (Clarified Butter): 2 tablespoons
Salt: as per taste
1. Wash spinach in salt water first and then in plain water. Drain excess water and chop roughly.
2. Grind coconut and coconut leaves into a fine paste.
3. Heat ghee in a pressure cooker. Add cloves, cardamoms and cinnamon stick. Saute for few seconds.
4. Add sliced onion, chopped green chillis and saute till onion turns transparent.
5. Add ginger garlic paste and saute till the raw smell is gone.
6. Add chopped tomato and saute for few seconds.
7. Add chopped spinach and combine well. Saute till the water oozed from spinach is completely evaporated.
8. Add the ground paste and saute till oil starts leaving at the sides.
9. Add washed rice, salt and combine well. Add 4 cups of water and cook on medium flame till rice is completely cooked.