Drumstick / Munagakaya: 3; cut into 1.5” pieces
Toor Dal: 1 cup
Tomato: 1; cubed
Onion: 1; roughly chopped
Turmeric Powder: 1/4 teaspoon
Grated Coconut: 1/4 cup
Coriander Powder: 1 tablespoon
Chilli Powder: 1 teaspoon (adjust as per taste)
Garlic: 3 – 4 flakes
Cinnamon: 1/2″ stick
Salt: as per taste
Mustard Seeds: 1 teaspoon
Asafoetida: 1 big pinch
Curry Leaves: 1 twig
Oil: 1 tablespoon
1. Grind coconut, garlic, coriander powder, chilli powder, turmeric powder, cloves, and cinnamon stick into a fine paste.
2. Pressure cook toor dal and tomato till dal is 3/4th cooked.
3. Add ground paste, chopped onion, drumstick pieces, salt and a cup of water to cooked toor dal. Combine well and cook on medium flame till the raw smell of masala is gone and drumstick is completely cooked.
4. Heat oil in a wok. Add mustard seeds and let them splutter. Add asafoetida and curry leaves. Saute till leaves turn crispy.
5. Add the tempering to the curry and combine well. Remove from heat and serve hot with steamed rice.