Whenever I visit Little India, I make sure to buy a bunch of methi leaves. And there are 2 dishes I make using these that I’ll prepare without fail. One is this methi murg and the other dish is tomato curry with methi leaves. We can never get tired of methi and the health benefits drives me to cook this more often. As I was searching to write about the benefits of methi leaves, I came across these 2 websites (15 benefits of methi and 6 benefits of methi leaves) which explains the same in simple words.
Chicken: 1 kg; cut into pieces of required size
Fenugreek Leaves (Menthaku / Methi Leaves): 1.5 cup tightly packed leaves
Onion: 2; roughly chopped
Tomato: 2; pureed
Yogurt: 1/2 cup
Ginger Garlic Paste: 1 tablespoon
Coriander Powder: 1 tablespoon
Chilli Powder: as per taste
Turmeric Powder: 1/4 teaspoon
Garam Masala Powder: 1 teaspoon
Salt: as per taste
Oil: 3 tablespoons
1. Heat a teaspoon of oil and saute chopped onions. Saute till they turn brown and let it cool.
2. Grind sauteed onion and curd into a fine paste.
3. Soak cashewnuts in warm water or milk for 5 minutes and grind to a fine paste.
4. Soak methi leaves in salt water for 5 minutes. Remove and wash in plain water. Scoop the leaves and drain. Heat a tablespoon of oil in a wok. Saute methi leaves till they trun crisp. Remove from heat and keep aside.
5. Add remaining oil in the same wok. Once oil is heated, add ginger garlic paste and sauet till raw smell is gone.
6. Add tomato puree and saute for 3 minutes. Add coriander powder, chilli powder, turmeric powder and combine well. Saute till raw smells are gone.
7. Add onion – yogurt paste and combine well. Cook on low flame for 5 minutes.
8. Add washed chicken pieces and mix well. Cook on medium flame till water oozes from chicken. Add water if necessary, salt and combine well. Cover with lid and cook till chicken is almost done.
9. Add sauteed methi leaves, garam masala powder and cashewnut paste. Combine well and check for salt and spiciness.
10. Remove from heat and serve hot with any Indian flat bread or flavoured rice of your choice.