Papas Fritas is the alternate name of french fries. This dish is nothing but adding some spiciness to the bland fries.
Potatoes : 3, big
Dry red chillis : 5-7 (adjust according to your taste)
Garlic : 5 flakes, crushed
Urad dal : 1 tablespoon
Chana dal : 1 tablespoon
Cumin seeds : ¼ tablespoon
Mustard seeds : ½ tablespoon
Curry leaves : 1 twig
Coriander : 5 twigs, finely chopped
Lemon juice : To taste
Oil : To fry potatoes
1. Peel the skin of potatoes and chop them in the shape of french fries. Deep fry the cut potatoes. Once golden brown, drain and place on absorbent paper.
2. Dry roast Urad dal, chana dal and cumin seeds.
3. Heat around ½ tablespoon oil in a pan. Add dry red chillis and crushed garlic flakes, and sauté for a minute.
4. Mix the roasted and fried ingredients and grind into a fine powder.
5. Heat around 1 tablespoon oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds and let them splutter. Add curry leaves and coriander leaves and saute for a minute. Now add the deep fried potatoes and mix well over low flame.
6. Remove from heat, sprinkle lemon juice and serve immediately with sauce.
Tip : Put the chopped potatoes in water to preserve colour.
Note : If you don’t want to waste time peeling potatoes and cutting them, you can use frozen fries. Thaw them as directed on the cover and deep fry.